This guide will help business owners and entrepreneurs make the right decisions when investing in WiFi access points for your coffee shop, tap room, cafe, restaurant, retail storefront, beauty salon and spa.
The recommendations and information of this guide is focused on achieving performance, security and reliability in a small business environment with independent and multiple locations.
Looking for information on WiFi access points we support? Head over to Integrations and consulting.
9 Features To Consider Before Investing In WiFi Access Points.
A common question by business owners often centers on the need for a business-grade WiFi access point over the many less-expensive alternatives with similar specifications included in a package by your Internet Service Provider.
However, it is worth noting that an important premise for a business-grade access point is control, security, reliability under sustained, heavy usage and built-in management tools. Moreover, if you’re a business owner looking to optimize your dine-in or mix-use space by requiring a purchase in exchange for fast and reliable WiFi connectivity, then a wireless enterprise-grade access point should be top of mind.
- Support for multiple SSIDs. Unlike consumer access points or basic level access points typically offered by your Internet Service Provider (ISP) which is limited to one SSID (Service Set Identifier), a business grade wireless access point supports multiple wireless networks of SSIDs. This means that one access point can support critical systems including your POS devices, guest WiFi, employee WiFi, IP cameras, wireless speakers and IoT sensors. More importantly each SSID can be set up with unique security and management policies including availability schedule, visibility and applications that are allowed on your network. This also means, that illegal content can be filtered and blocked to protect your network.
- Security monitoring and management. With a business-grade access point, you are assured of 247 security monitoring and management. Each SSID can be assigned a different access policies, including the use of a virtual LAN or configured with different authentication and encryption options.
- Mesh networking. Reliable and high performance business WiFi is critical to every retail and service operations. A number of variables including total usable guest floor space, floor design and interference from neighboring WiFi access points could negatively affect the performance of your network. Business-grade WiFi access points make it easy and simple to create a mesh network or multiple connected WiFi access points to distribute your WiFi where it needs to be.
- One-click integrations with cloud POS systems. Business-grade WiFi access points are a huge advantage for businesses who want to optimize table turn-over by requiring a purchase or a unique personal identification before a guest is able to join your fast, reliable guest WiFi network. GoGoGuest offers one-click integrations for business grade WiFi access points from Meraki, Ubiquity/Unifi and Datto Open Mesh.
- Power over ethernet (PoE). Using PoE eliminates the need to run separate power cables to individual access points. PoEs also increase reliability and easier management should hardware and switches need to be replaced to adhere to standards and compliance.
- Location analytics. For entrepreneurs and business owners who recognize the importance of inactive data and want to better understand their customers, business-grade WiFi access points provide location analytics that can be easily accessed when integrated with GoGoGuest.
- Easy management with plug and play installation. Business WiFi access points are easy to manage and install. Meraki and Datto’s Open Mesh does not require a technician, provided that your ISP is established and connected. Meanwhile, an Ubiquiti/Unifi access point may require an hour of a technician’s time. Guidelines for successful installation.
- Hardware lifetime guarantee. Meraki offers a lifetime guarantee on all their WiFi access point hardware. GoGoGuest customers can rely on our support team to manage any potential replacements that you may need.
- Train your baristas and front-office staff. It is important to Educate your team on your guest WiFi policy since they are the first line of communications to your customers. Online Barista Training offers a quick summary of what they should know.
GoGoGuest is a customer marketing and data software subscription solution that helps every business and iconic brand better understand their customers. We are trusted by over 200 businesses and power more than a million customer engagements every month. Our story.